Identifying Opportunities in Economic & Regulatory Trends
1.The way we shop has fundamentally changed
a. I found an article in CNN about how strong sales growth is in Alibaba
b. If e-commerce in China is better than ever during Covid- 19 and it originated there then there's an opportunity for e-commerce in America.
c. American e-commerce customers
d. I think it's relatively easy if we decide to take a page from China's tactics.
I saw this opportunity because I myself have been recently addicted to online shopping and using anything via my laptop or phone that involves purchasing items. I know that an opportunity exists to revolutionize e-commerce during this time where everyone is forced to shop from home.
2. The business cycle smooths out
a. I found an article about Covid changing the way we think of risk
b.The federal government has taken action that has socialized losses in the economy while privatizing gains. The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, a $2 trillion relief measure that also includes beefed-up unemployment insurance and forgivable loans to small businesses, sets aside hundreds of billions of dollars for airlines, amusement parks, casinos, movie theaters, and restaurant chains as well as other major industries. This protects the wealthy shareholders.
c. The wealthy shareholders will likely hold the opportunity but by exploiting this issue smaller businesses could profit
d. Very difficult because of the unequal distribution of wealth
This issue is a very difficult one, but I chose to look at it as an opportunity for the underdogs. If the people aren't aware of an opportunity, how are they supposed to try and utilize it?
3.Sexual Harassment Prevention
a. With the #MeToo movement and more women speaking up about sexual assault and prevention I was led to this opportunity
b. It's a very important and popular topic at the moment by utilizing this opportunity it would not only serve a higher purpose but also spread awareness.
c. I would think large corporations who are socially aware could use their campaigns to speak on this issue or advertise prevention.
d. Relatively easy, because of the popularity of this issue there would be little push-back form the public.
As a woman who understands the severity of this issue first hand, I know that companies who use this opportunity to spread an important message often gain more support than they loose for taking a risk and speaking out or branding based on it.
4. Marijuana legalization
a. This is one I didn't have to go looking for I'm just aware the legalization of weed both medically and recreation ally is spreading through the country.
b. Whenever something becomes legal to be distributed there's always an opportunity to make products or take advantage of it's prominence at the time
c. There's an opportunity for dispensaries, restaurants, convenience stores, clubs etc.
d. Relatively easy in my opinion because its just a matter of it being legal not feasibility.
From my past its been very evident to me that there are plenty of opportunities involving marijuana that just have not been publicized because it was illegal. Now that that's not the case in some places people will be able to utilize what ideas they've already thought of for open profit.
I appreciate the wide variety of opportunities you brought up. I found this activity very interesting as we were asked why we saw it as an opportunity. Based on our background and experiences we all tend to see things differently. I appreciate that you called out why you saw these as opportunities and would have liked to know what you felt it was in your second example that made YOU specifically see the opportunity. I would have also liked to a link to the articles so that I could read them.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteHi,
These are all great opportunities that I can see for our society. I think right now would be a great time for businesses to learn to move online, especially now during these times. Online shopping was already becoming popular before the recent outbreak of covid-19, and now that this has occurred, businesses are starting to move online entirely. Going this route instead of trying to open up a physical store will even save the cost and hassle of rent every month to maintain the space.