Forming an Opportunity Belief
1.) The quality of Android cameras
2.) I believe that androids are a better phone brand than iphones, but because of the poor camera quality all of it's other functions are negated to the public. I believe everyone with an android or iphone has this need, androids are more affordable have better charging and more hardware options. The need has existed since androids were created and people began to complain. People are tying to fix it by editing their own photos on their laptop to improve the quality and google is coming out with apps for android other than the camera. There are currently 2.5 billion active androids so the need for a better camera is an unmet one.
3a.)Android Users
4a. )
Whats your favorite part about using an android?
"I enjoy the interwoven google software" i asked her to elaborate "I like the reliability and simplicity of messaging"
Whats your least favorite?
"The frequency of software update its too frequent one every week"
What do you think of the camera quality?
"It's amazing there's literally a professional setting for the camera." Samsung Galaxy 39
Would you be willing to pay more for an android with better camera quality?
"Yes"
How often do you use your camera?
"On an almost daily basis"
Is there anything an iphone provides that an android doesn't have?
"I would say Facetime but android has video chat as well so no"
3b.) Iphone Users
4b.)
Whats your favorite part of using an iphone?
"I like the interface, the way the icons appear, I like facetime, it's alot more secure than android" (I asked her to elaborate) "it's a Linux based operating system so it's harder to hack" "I like ipads and iphones, and idrop, all the ifeatures."
Whats your least favorite?
"My least favorite thing is having to swipe to turn it on and off, I don't like the ringtone and its really expensive, the screen cracks easier, and I don't like the wireless headphone"
What do you think of the camera quality?
"It's okay, it's not great, it's better than a cheap phone"
Would you pay the same price for an iphone with worse camera quality?
"No"
How often do you use your camera?
"Daily"
3c.) Iphone Users that switched to Androids
4c.)
Why did you make the switch?
"I made the switch because of the quality of the phone and the quicker application advantage"
What regrets if any do you have about switching?
"I have no regrets about switching however it was very expensive to make the switch."
If the camera quality was better would you have stayed with android phones?
"No, if the camera quality was better on android I still would've made the switch to iphone. Apple overall just has more selective and productive application and space."
Rate each phone overall on a scale of 1-10
"I would rate an iphone as a 10 and an android as a 6"
5. From speaking to different people about their phone usage and concerns my main reflection is that my target issue may not be the best approach to consumers problems. It was very surprising to me that a current android user actually loved the camera quality and explained various settings to me that made it so great. There were plenty of other issues with iphones and androids that seemed to be more important than what I previously thought to be the main issue.
7. I believe some of my original opportunity is still there but it's not the best choice to focus on moving forward. My new opportunity is definitely more accurate than at the beginning because I got real world feedback that helped me alter my thinking. Customers make a business but at the same time you have to have a solid plan about where you want your vision to be. I think it should be about 70/30 with the customer opinion driving the opportunity while still holding their individuality.
2.) I believe that androids are a better phone brand than iphones, but because of the poor camera quality all of it's other functions are negated to the public. I believe everyone with an android or iphone has this need, androids are more affordable have better charging and more hardware options. The need has existed since androids were created and people began to complain. People are tying to fix it by editing their own photos on their laptop to improve the quality and google is coming out with apps for android other than the camera. There are currently 2.5 billion active androids so the need for a better camera is an unmet one.
3a.)Android Users
4a. )
Whats your favorite part about using an android?
"I enjoy the interwoven google software" i asked her to elaborate "I like the reliability and simplicity of messaging"
Whats your least favorite?
"The frequency of software update its too frequent one every week"
What do you think of the camera quality?
"It's amazing there's literally a professional setting for the camera." Samsung Galaxy 39
Would you be willing to pay more for an android with better camera quality?
"Yes"
How often do you use your camera?
"On an almost daily basis"
Is there anything an iphone provides that an android doesn't have?
"I would say Facetime but android has video chat as well so no"
3b.) Iphone Users
4b.)
Whats your favorite part of using an iphone?
"I like the interface, the way the icons appear, I like facetime, it's alot more secure than android" (I asked her to elaborate) "it's a Linux based operating system so it's harder to hack" "I like ipads and iphones, and idrop, all the ifeatures."
Whats your least favorite?
"My least favorite thing is having to swipe to turn it on and off, I don't like the ringtone and its really expensive, the screen cracks easier, and I don't like the wireless headphone"
What do you think of the camera quality?
"It's okay, it's not great, it's better than a cheap phone"
Would you pay the same price for an iphone with worse camera quality?
"No"
How often do you use your camera?
"Daily"
3c.) Iphone Users that switched to Androids
4c.)
Why did you make the switch?
"I made the switch because of the quality of the phone and the quicker application advantage"
What regrets if any do you have about switching?
"I have no regrets about switching however it was very expensive to make the switch."
If the camera quality was better would you have stayed with android phones?
"No, if the camera quality was better on android I still would've made the switch to iphone. Apple overall just has more selective and productive application and space."
Rate each phone overall on a scale of 1-10
"I would rate an iphone as a 10 and an android as a 6"
5. From speaking to different people about their phone usage and concerns my main reflection is that my target issue may not be the best approach to consumers problems. It was very surprising to me that a current android user actually loved the camera quality and explained various settings to me that made it so great. There were plenty of other issues with iphones and androids that seemed to be more important than what I previously thought to be the main issue.
7. I believe some of my original opportunity is still there but it's not the best choice to focus on moving forward. My new opportunity is definitely more accurate than at the beginning because I got real world feedback that helped me alter my thinking. Customers make a business but at the same time you have to have a solid plan about where you want your vision to be. I think it should be about 70/30 with the customer opinion driving the opportunity while still holding their individuality.
Hi! I appreciated that you were very clear in your initial opportunity belief and that you were open to changing it as you gathered and learned more information. Personally, I am an Android user and have seen some great advances in the camera quality. I was a little confused by sections of your post. For example, your “3c.)” says “iPhone users that switched to Android”, but one of the questions in that section is, “If the camera quality was better would you have stayed with android phones?” – I point this out as I was not sure if I was reading about iPhone users that switched to Android or Android users that switched to iPhone. Overall, I appreciated your flexibility to adapt your opportunity belief based on the customer feedback you received.
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your opportunity brief and although I have never articulated this need of better quality android cameras I do see and can understand why it is a need. I do agree overall android phones have a bad rap regarding their camera quality, however I do believe there are other issues when discussing the differences between apple phones and android phones that need to be discussed along with the issue of camera quality such as the issue of switching costs and the overall monopoly of the app store and lastly the i message system.
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your opportunity belief as this is an issue that is often discussed in my own household. To be completely honest, this issue (camera quality) is what has kept me from ever purchasing an Android. I was a little confused reading 3c and 4c when discussing switching from an IPhone to an Android. I admire your awareness of the opportunity as your opinion on it changed after interviewing three people.
Hi Rose,
ReplyDeleteI love how you used one of the items from your bug list. I like how the bug list caused you to research one of the things that bug you, and you found and created a solution to that bug. I am not an android user, but I have heard of this issue. I learned a lot from you post. Great job.
-Josh